When you’re involved in a collision, the next few moments, days, and even weeks can be stressful. You’re taking care of your health so you can recover, you’re dealing with insurance companies, and you’re likely wondering how you’re going to cover the expenses from the injuries and damages. When someone else was at fault for the crash, you are eligible to recover compensation. A Houston car accident lawyer from The Mejia Law Firm will fight for you to get full and fair compensation.
This time period can be extremely difficult for you and your family. The Mejia Law Firm understands that. Your car accident lawyer will take on the legal matters of the crash while you take the time you need to heal. We’re ready to answer any questions.
What Are the Main Causes of Car Accidents?
Houston had 263 fatal crashes resulting in 274 fatalities in 2020. The total number of traffic crashes in Houston reached 58,167. One of the common factors in all car accidents is that negligence is usually the cause.
Driver negligence can occur in many ways. As your Houston car accident lawyer investigates your case, we’ll find exactly what happened. It’s possible that one of the following reasons is what caused the collision:
- Distracted Driving. If the other driver was texting and driving, reaching for something that had fallen behind them, or doing any kind of activity that took their attention from driving, then they were distracted and could be at fault for the accident.
- Aggressive Driving. These kinds of drivers may follow others too closely, speed to pass other drivers, and can also be prone to road rage. They are less focused on driving cautiously and could easily lose control of their vehicle.
- Drunk Driving. Inebriated drivers have little to no control over the vehicle. Alcohol impairs cognitive and motor functions, so a driver could speed, fail to stop, or veer into another lane before realizing they’re about to hit something.
- Disobeying Traffic Signs/Signals. Running red lights, rolling through stop signs, and failing to yield are all ways a negligent driver can disobey traffic signals. Drivers may anticipate that others will follow the rules of the road, and when this doesn’t happen, it can result in a collision.
Your car accident lawyer in Houston will examine the evidence related to the crash and determine the main reason and any contributing factors that led to the crash. Then, your attorney from The Mejia Law Firm will look into your injuries and damages.
How Serious Are Auto Collison Injuries?
Depending on the type of crash and the speed of the collision, your injuries can range from minor to severe. While some may require minimal medical treatment and time to heal, others can require multiple treatments and weeks to months of treatment. Some common types of injuries include:
- Whiplash. The sudden jerking motion of the head can cause whiplash, a neck injury that can cause stiffness and pain.
- Head/Brain Trauma. If the impact causes a head injury, the brain can sustain trauma. If there’s bleeding or swelling in the brain, then these injuries can be life-threatening.
- Loss of Limb. In severe crashes, limbs can be lost in the accident. If there’s significant nerve damage, a surgeon may need to remove it.
- Broken Bones. The impact of the crash can also break bones.
When you’re dealing with serious injuries, you need to have representation fighting for you to get the compensation you deserve. Let’s take a look at the ways a car accident lawyer in Houston, TX will fight for you.
How Can a Houston Car Accident Lawyer Help You?
Your losses can be sorted into two categories: economic and noneconomic damages. Your economic damages include financial costs:
- Medical Expenses. This includes past and future expenses for hospital bills, doctor visits, medication, and other treatments.
- Lost Wages. If your injuries prevented you from going to work, your lawyer will seek damages for the days of lost pay.
- Property Damage. Your car may have been damaged in the crash. The costs of repair can be included in your compensation.
Your noneconomic damages are the other ways you were affected:
- Pain and Suffering. The amount of time you’ll have to live with your injuries is a factor in your noneconomic damages.
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life. Your injuries may prevent you from living your life as you did before the accident. This significant consequence is something your lawyer will take into consideration when examining your losses.
- Emotional Distress. The accident and resulting injuries can cause severe psychological trauma and complications such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
You can count on your Houston car accident lawyer to calculate all your losses for fair compensation. The Mejia Law Firm will always protect your best interests and advocate for your rights. We’ll do everything possible to secure your financial future.
Get Experienced Representation Today
When a car accident occurs, it’s important to remember that you don’t need to go through the aftermath alone. You deserve to have representation on your side who will always seek the best possible outcome for you.
To get started on your case, reach out to The Mejia Law Firm today. You’ll speak with an experienced Houston car accident attorney in a free case evaluation. While we go over the details of your case, we’ll also answer any questions you may have. We’ll discuss your options and can start fighting for you.